Sunday 11 January 2015

Quasingular

Quasingular: adjective. The intermediate state between singular and plural - a contraction of the words "quasi" and "singular." Quasingular words are often words that are practically used as singular words but are technically more than that. The test to finding out whether a word is singular or quasingular is remarkably easy: one takes the word in its plural form and works it down to its "most" singular form. Through this test, we can find that some sequences only involve two terms, such as "trees-tree" or "geese-goose," indicating that the words concerned have no quasingular form, whereas some sequences, such as "cheeses-cheese-choose" and "foxes-fox-fock" (both of which shall be discussed in later posts) have three terms, the intermediate one being quasingular

Fragment XIII

Eventually, it transpired that Mr Horst, the new husband of Caroline no-longer-Bingley, had been in charge of supervising a time travel contraption which disappeared, along with Mr Horst, a couple of months before during a highly dangerous experiment.

"The problem," explained Mr Horst, "is that you, my good sir and teacher, made a fatal mistake in your calculations. While the contraption did indeed carry me through time, its main use seems to rest in travel through space. My movement through time was enhanced by an entire one minute, but my movement through space was incomparably larger and I happened to end up in an apartment in London, Grosvenor Street."

"And, I daresay, that is how you met Caroline Bingley! Isn't that right?" exclaimed Elizabeth.

"No," said Mr Horst dryly, "I was arrested and sent to prison from which I escaped with the help of a spoon and... of course that's how I met Caroline Bingley! It was love at first sight and all of that rot. Honestly, lady, you aren't too bright, are you?"

Caroline sneered. Elizabeth was embarassed. Babbage was gone.

"Well," said Mr Darcy adressing Caroline, "I see that you have finally found a man matching the wonderful arrogance I have always admired in you." 

Caroline was silent. Mr Horst was offended. Babbage was still gone.

"I don't know about you, but I need the loo," remarked Mr Hurst quite suddenly. His wife gave him a scolding look.

"Could you at least say 'urinate?'" she said with marked disgust.

"Sorry, love, can't talk, I need a good piss," said Mr Hurst looking around for the men's room. His eyes finally rested on a lovely potted plant where he proceeded to empty his bladder.

Mrs Hurst was shocked. Elizabeth was appaled. Babbage had just come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment